Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 06.02.2007 um 22:14 schrieb Rocky:

Ultimately the closer we get to structuring our code deployment like
regular python code the easier it will be to take advantage of things
like distutils, eggs, the cheeseshop, etc.  I look forward to doing:
  easy_install ZopeCMF

I hate eggs and easy_install and for me they are not part of "regular python code" but reminiscent of script kiddy magic dust which I *really* don't want in my apps.

I can see why people would be appalled by easy_install, at least in its default incarnation (inside a workingenv or a zc.buildout it's quite nice).

There's little to be afraid for concerning eggs, though. They're just directories with Python packages in them (they often come in a ZIP form and may also be installed that way, which doesn't chagne the fact that they're just directories with Python packages in them).

I've never had a problem with using Products especially since the
introduction of "local" Products with Zope 2.7.

I have no idea what "local Products" should be, but the Products package contains more magic than anybody should have to handle. The whole reason we have "zopectl debug" and "zopectl test" instead of a simple "debugzope" and "test" script (like we do have in Zope 3) is that Zope wants an extra special treatment for its Products thing. Doese zopectl work on Windows? No, it doesn't, because it builds on zdaemon. There, Products sucks. If Products were usinig standard Python idioms like namespace packages, etc., we wouldn't have that problem.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: