On Mar 5, 1:42 pm, yuppie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I believe that the current way extension profiles are
> implemented has some fundamental issues,
> see:http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2006-July/024665.html

Ok, that took 30 minutes out of my day :-)

> Are you aware of this file?
> http://svn.zope.org/GenericSetup/trunk/doc/profiles.txt?rev=68512&vie...

I saw something similar, probably it was that file. I don't remember
seeing that "remove" option used a lot, perhaps I should investigating
that one a bit in the profiles in which I thought something was

> It describes some generally useful update directives. But that doesn't
> mean all handlers have to implement them.

Ok, so they're all optional directives. That's what I wondered about.
I didn't expect every insert-before to work, but I was surprised to
see an XML format error once I put a "purge" inside a profile that
didn't support it :-)

> For many objects there are still no setup handlers at all, so people
> might have other priorities. Implementing update directives in every
> handler is a lot of work, so in the long run it might make more sense to
> make them obsolete by more fundamental changes.

Yep, make it easy to add genericsetup to your product and you've
solved 3/4 of the problem :-)