Also, does anyone know of any examples of its use other than CMFUid and the CMF Discussion tool? I think it might help if there was a bit more for me to look at . . .

I strongly doubt anything else uses it.

If it's that unlikely anyone else uses this bit of framework, is it not a candidate for deprecation? That would help indicate that there is a different, 'preferred' way of doing things.

The two existing examples are easily changed to use their own event handlers. And it would also remove the need for iterating over the entire contents of an object's __dict__, which presumably results in a speed-up.