Dieter Maurer wrote:
Martin Aspeli wrote at 2007-3-25 12:46 +0100:
I agree, except I think there could potentially be lots of places where this could be happening. In the general case, it's probably safe for that code to assume the utility is there, and treat it as an error if it's not, but during site deletion, it is probably at the mercy of the order of deletions. At least that's my guess.

I would not find is a good approach, if exceptions were silently
suppressed.

Let's look at this closer:

- There's probably an event subscriber for IObjectBeforeDeleteEvent on all Plone or CMF objects that makes sure that the deleted item is also purged from the unique ID tool. So far so good.

- If that subscriber uses getUtility() calls and doesn't catch a ComponentLookupError, it bluntly assumes that all such content objects must live in an environment that has a unique ID utility. That's asking for a lot (it's almost as bad as simply wanting to be able to acquire portal_uuid or whatever it's called).

- To make reuse easier, the suggested pattern is to check if such a utility can be found and then do the unregistering (or even registering when the object is added). If the utility can't be found, then that's too bad but shouldn't impact the actual use of the content type. After all, it's just a dumb content type.

This isn't about silently suppressing exceptions, it's defensive programming to increase flexibility.

If we know that during deletions exceptional cases could happen,
we should inform the component lookup process that we are doing
deletions such that it can be less strict in its behaviour.

"Informing the component lookup process" is exactly the queryUtility() call that I meant. It returns None if the component can't be found. In combination for a check if the utility is None or not, this is the "less strict behaviour" that you're asking for.

However, usually the "I am going to be deleted" event is
signalled before the actual deletion takes place. Therefore, the
event processing still should find all utilities around.

Not if you haven't traversed into site. Then the local utilities won't be found. I suggest reading the chapter on Sites in my book.