Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
yuppie wrote:
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
* on GS trunk I want to implement zcml-based import and export step
  registration (I have a partial implementation but need to finish
  that)
That means replacing the persistent local registries by a global registry, right?

I'm not in favor of that, at least not without more discussion.  I *am*
in favor of replacing any import-time or 'initialize'-time registrations
which touch module globals with ZCML.

Well. Right now there are no global step registrations, so there is nothing that can be simply replaced by ZCML.

The persistent steps registered within a site's profiles *can't* be done
via startup-time setup:  they reflect state which may be *important*,
even if a module doesn't import at a given startup.

In the initial version of CMFSetup import_steps.xml and export_steps.xml did summarize the contents of the profile. Each step represented a part of the profile.

That concept is broken since extension profiles were added. Extension profiles re-use registrations made by other profiles, exports mix steps from different profiles. The step registries just represent a set of available handlers, not the configuration of the site.

So what's the important state information that might get lost if we remove the persistent steps?

Cheers,

        Yuppie