Martin Aspeli wrote:
Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 13.07.2008 um 20:21 schrieb Martin Aspeli:
Thus, if CMF hasn't yet picked a form library in a release, then you could try to learn from Plone's mistakes and not jump on a sinking ship. :)

CMF 2.1 was released with some formlib based edit forms. I don't think it was a mistake, because at that time z3c.form wasn't available in the Zope 2 world.

We're already using zope.formlib in the "experimental browser views" edit forms. The reference to a sinking ship is totally off-target. My own view is that sometimes it is better to wait for version 2 of a product or library to be released before adoption. Surely Plone has suffered from adopting some stuff too early?

Do what you please. I'm not particularly wedded to one or the other. But having used both, I'm pretty sure that z3c.form is a better library. In many ways, z3c.form *is* version 2 of formlib.

Exactly. z3c.form is a new version of zope.formlib that doesn't care about backwards compatibility. All development is done in z3c.form. Using the picture of a sinking ship: At least the crew has already abandoned the formlib ship. And without crew it will sink sooner or later.

It was always a goal of CMF to minimize dependencies. But Zope became less monolithic, so we have to define the Zope dependency ourselves. It's no longer just the Zope 2 distribution, we have to use separately shipped packages like five.localsitemanager as well. And z3c.form is *the* current Zope package for creating forms.