Hi!

Martin Aspeli wrote:
Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 13.07.2008 um 20:21 schrieb Martin Aspeli:
Thus, if CMF hasn't yet picked a form library in a release, then you could try to learn from Plone's mistakes and not jump on a sinking ship. :)

CMF 2.1 was released with some formlib based edit forms. I don't think it was a mistake, because at that time z3c.form wasn't available in the Zope 2 world.

We're already using zope.formlib in the "experimental browser views" edit forms. The reference to a sinking ship is totally off-target. My own view is that sometimes it is better to wait for version 2 of a product or library to be released before adoption. Surely Plone has suffered from adopting some stuff too early?

*shrug*

Do what you please. I'm not particularly wedded to one or the other. But having used both, I'm pretty sure that z3c.form is a better library. In many ways, z3c.form *is* version 2 of formlib.

Exactly. z3c.form is a new version of zope.formlib that doesn't care about backwards compatibility. All development is done in z3c.form. Using the picture of a sinking ship: At least the crew has already abandoned the formlib ship. And without crew it will sink sooner or later.

It was always a goal of CMF to minimize dependencies. But Zope became less monolithic, so we have to define the Zope dependency ourselves. It's no longer just the Zope 2 distribution, we have to use separately shipped packages like five.localsitemanager as well. And z3c.form is *the* current Zope package for creating forms.

Cheers,

        Yuppie