An open Launchpad issue had me take a look at the import/export
machinery for the actions tool and action providers
). I see some inconsistencies and would like to get rid of them.
Here's the behavior I read out of the code:

  - _all_ action providers known to the actions tool are written to
actions.xml as "action-provider" nodes

  - if an action provider contains "old-style" actions, those are
exported as children of the corresponding "action-provider" node.
Curiously, that action information export is marked "BBB: for CMF 1.6

  - the "action-provider" nodes are added to the actions tool if they
do not exist _and_ if their IDs happen to be 'portal_actions',
'portal_types' or 'portal_workflow'. None of the other "action-
provider" nodes are added.

  - if the "action-provider" node has children of type "action", their
data is imported and recreated on the respective provider as "old-
style" actions. This is also marked as "BBB: for CMF 1.6 profiles".

The main discrepancy is in the handling of action providers that are
not 'portal_actions', 'portal_types' or 'portal_workflow'. Their data
is exported, but they are not re-added to the actions tool during
import. Also, the BBB note about "CMF 1.6 profiles" is confusing. That
mechanism is still in use today, it hasn't been discarded after 1.6.

I would like to change the actions tool import/export code so it does
the following:

  - all action-provider nodes from the export should be added to the
actions tool during import if they are not already registered there.

  - the old-style action information data should not be handled
centrally by the actions tool export/import, unless those actions are
on the actions tool itself. All other providers should export/import
their old-style actions themselves.

  - clarify the BBB comment

Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)