Charlie Clark wrote:
> Hi,
> I've written a very simple view for concactenating resources such as
> CSS or Javascript files to reduce the number of http browser requests:
> from Products.CMFCore.utils import getToolByName
> from Products.CMFDefault.browser.utils import memoize, ViewBase
> class Javascript(ViewBase):
>      """Return all Javascript from the skin as a single string"""
>      folder_name = 'js'
>      content_type = 'application/x-javascript'
>      @memoize
>      def contents(self):
>          skin_tool = getToolByName(self.context, 'portal_skins')
>          layer = skin_tool.getDefaultSkin()
>          skin = skin_tool.getSkinByName(layer)
>          folder = getattr(skin, self.folder_name)
>          obs = [str(ob) for ob in folder.objectValues()
>                         if ob.meta_type == "Filesystem File"]
>          return "\n".join(obs)
>      def __call__(self):
>          data = self.contents()
>          self.request.response.setHeader("Content-Type",
> self.content_type)
>          self.request.response.setHeader("Content-Length", len(data))
>          self.request.response.write(data)
> While this works fine, it seems to run considerably slower (about half
> the speed) than a PythonScript that calls the relevant objects
> explicitly via getattr(context, id). I'm a bit surprised at this but
> suspect it may down to whether the file system is actually accessed or
> whether a persistent object is being called. In my browser view it is
> impossible to avoid reading in the file again as this happens the
> __str__ method of the FSFile object.
> In the hope of enlightenment.

Try profiling the two requests and see what looks different.  The FSFile
object *never* stores the bits read from the filesystem, so the more
likely case is that your view is hitting some other bottleneck.

BTW, it might be faster to compute the *filenames* in the memo, and then
return an IFilestreamIterator which chunked the response by reading the
files one at a time.  Running 'cat /path/to/fsidr/*.js' in an
os.system() call might be faster, too ;)

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)