I have a question about the transitions of a workflow.
In ZMI you could choose the option automatic in a transition. Does the option
only remove the action if you call "atool.listFilteredActionsFor(item)" or is
it intended to do some more?

We start a process with a workflow which runs a long time, if the process
starts, we move the object into another state with a transition:

wf = getToolByName(self.context, 'portal_workflow')
wf.doActionFor(self.context, 'send', comment='send')

If the process is finished we like to move the object automatically into
another state. Provides the workflow functions which assists this?

For example: If a certain method ist called after the process is finished,
could the workflow get aware of this?