Dieter Maurer wrote:
Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard wrote at 2005-7-1 23:28 +0200:
I need to be able to access a Postgresql database directly from Zope
Python scripts (Z SQL Methods is not an option as the SQL code occurs in
modules that must be re-usable in a non-Zope context).
import psycopg
dbcon = psycopg.connect('host=%s dbname=%s user=%s' % ('dbhost',
'dbname', 'username'))

You should *NOT* do this because you move outside of Zope's
transaction handling.

Fetch the connection from the DA. It looks somehow like:

      db = DA()	# low level connection object
      db._register() # register with Zope's transaction system
      conn = db.db # this is the "psycopg" connection

Pass the "conn" into your code.
Thanks! This is exactly what I would like to do in the end. The code above was just a first attempt to get started.
When run outside Zope, it opens a connection as expected. When run in
Zope, however, I get "thrown out" - the browser asks me to enter my user
name and password again. I get no error message!

Cancel the login dialog and you will get the error message :-)
Good to know :-)
Does Zope somehow create a restricted environment

PythonScripts are a restricted environment where "import" is
restricted as well as access to attributes.
I didn't read the Zope book very carefully on that point - I have been using Python mod_python for years but am new to "advanced" Zope programming.

Another question: When I define an external method to process form data, I have to do it like this:

def process_form_data(self, name, address, zip, ...):

What I would like to do is:

def process_form_data(self, **args):

so that I don't have to alter the argument list if I add or remove fields. However, args always comes out empty, presumeably because Zope inspects the argument list and passes only those arguments that have a matching name in the list. Is there any way to tell Zope to pass "the rest" in **args?

med venlig hilsen / regards

Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard

Metation ApS
systemudvikling * hosting * IT rådgivning