Michael Mauws wrote:
For better or for worse, I can live with the situation I've just
described. However, the problem I'm having is that it's not just the
"update request" that hangs. Rather, it's the whole Zope that hangs
until this one request has been satisfied.

Are you _sure_ your other requests aren't relying on something locked by this process?

I'd suggest a couple of things:

- there's a product out there called DeadlockDebugger for Zope which can help you find out where the other requests are getting stuck

- find some of those new fangled Oracle tools (you know, the ones you pay inordinate amounts of money for an that are riddled with critical security vulnerabilities ;-) and see if you can figure out what's going on from the oracle end of things

good luck!

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk