On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 12:46:27PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Sounds like a developer setup :-)
> For those I do have a solution:
> chown root.zope .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA
> chmod 750 .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA
> (provided zope is the group of the Zope daemon)
> That way you prevent deletions in the product directory
> by any user other than root.

Yes, Tres suggested that on another list. But doing this also
prevents the test runner from running any tests :-)
It bails out with errors like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 line 1116, in remove_stale_bytecode
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:

I think for my use case, your workaround of putting mxODBCZopeDA
under SoftwareHome is probably the best.
I'm currently using the test -k flag to prevent bytecode deletion,
but it's only a matter of time before that causes me pain of the
sort Chris described.

I'll put the mx libs in my python site-packages too (since the
testrunner also deletes bytecode in $INSTANCE_HOME/lib/python).
Shouldn't be a problem for licensing since our buildout system creates a
dedicated "private" python installation; we're not currently sharing
python or SOFTWARE_HOME across multiple instances, and I doubt we'll
start doing that because it'd take some hacking on the build scripts so
it's much cheaper to just keep wasting disk space.

Thanks for the input everybody,

Paul Winkler