I hope this is a stupid question but why does ZCatalog use the URL of an
object to uniquely identify it?

Why not just use a reference to the object? Persistent object
identifiers must exist for the ZODB so why not use them instead?

PS: This would solve all the problems with ZCatalogs and virtually
hosted sites... I think the traversal interface is needed for other
reasons but it should remove ZCatalog from the list of things that need
it... not that I've just been bitten by this or anything ;-)