On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, [iso-8859-1] Gonšalo Gomes wrote:

> Silver_Surfer: how do you see the future of Zope fighting against PHP space on the
>web?
> Jim: I don't know much (enough) about PHP, but from what I vaguely know, PHP methods
>seem like a logical step.

Hmm... I'm having to setup a PHP web environment for the students next
semester, and have elected to run it as a CGI application (tie into
existing suid security arcitecture). I'm told there won't be any functionality
loss except, just a bit of performance (?).

If we didn't care about persistance of the PHP engine, it would
be a trivial task to create a PHP method object - just a small
python stub using the CGI libraries to call PHP.

Or even more trivial - I could hack my existing Logger product to
create a <dtml-php> tag, so you would be able to preprocess your
PHP code with DTML tags or embed PHP output in DTML for standard_html_header
etc. (Is that my foot bleeding?). The standard response to a <dtml-python>
tag is that it would make it too PHP like, so <dtml-php> seems very
appropriate :-)

And then the next step is to import IMP and other PHP apps into Zope
land...

--
Stuart Bishop                          Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Alchemist               Play: [EMAIL PROTECTED]