Well, one method of attack is to develop the guts of your Product as a
Python-only layer.  Do all the "hard stuff" in the Python-only part of
your Product.  Develop unit tests to go along with this layer.  Then,
when you're ready to Zope-ify it, wrap a thin Zope layer around it.
This works well with "small" products.  The ZCatalog seems to have been
developed this way.