We're using ZCVSMixin for just such a scenario. It's working a
lot better than nothing. ;-) It does still have rough edges, and you
need to know too much about how it works to do anything complex, but
it does allow us to manage changes and test/stage/update etc with
a much greater degree of control than we used to have... Of course
right now it's unix only... but I should be able to fix that once
my current slate of projects are finished.