thanks to the excellent tool (tcpwatch) I was able to pinpoint the issue I
am having with LoginManager.  It seems that it is returning an HTTP/1.0 500
Internal Server Error as the response to the proxy which then tells the
browser that the page is a no go (despite the fact that the login page
follows as the content).  So the browser displays the error message page we
all know too well without the content:

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer

This does not happen it seems when the page is viewed without a client proxy
(tcpwatch or other).  Note: this request is actually double proxied - I have
an Apache reverse proxy setup.  Is this problem an Apache issue, or a Zope
issue?  Please help....

TIA, and beaucoup thanks on the previous question.
Tim McLaughlin