On 26 Mar 2001, Karl Anderson wrote:
> Is there a particular set of tools or editing paradigms that we have
> in mind when we say that a non-XML representation is suited for client
> side tools?

I think the prime current example of this is the way you can use
any text editor to edit the serialized format of a pythonscript:
metadata is included in the serialized format as header lines.
The fact that this is *very* pythonscript specific is the motivation
for a class-implemented serialization format, IMO.  When possible,
the metadata *ought* to go in the same file as the body, simply
because it makes the human edit cycle more convenient/faster, thus raising
productivity.  Again, I'm focusing on "editing via arbitrary external
text editing tools" here, and not CVS, but if the conversion is
invariant, it works for CVS too.