> Basically, 'access contents information' isn't a great permission. If you
> turn if off, life gets horrible, if you leave it on, bits hang out. I'd
> prefer to see something like:
> - Access Contents Information via HTTP
> - Access Contents Information via FTP
> ...etc...

This sounds more as if some "external interface" concept is needed, where
you can add/disable modules for handling the XMLRPC stuff and the webdav stuff
and the normal management interface stuff and the ftp stuff..
And this again also touches the area of model-view again, which seems a bit
far away unfortunately ..

-- mr topf