Yves-Eric Martin writes:
 > But unfortunately, <dtml-sqltest "..."> does not seem to work.
 > We get the following error:
 >
 >   " The "..." shorthand for expr was used in a tag that doesn't
 >     support expr attributes., for tag <dtml-sqltest [...] "
I expect that "dtml-sqltest" does not support the "expr"
attribute due to its "optional".

  It is not easy to define the semantics of "optional" for
  arbitrary expressions.

  Your example seems to suggests, that you would like
  the tag to be omitted, when the expression
  raise a NameError.
  But, in fact, it is not clear whether this is anticipated
  by "optional" or a serious problem (maybe deep in the
  expression) that should be reported.

Dieter