>This is nonsense. Solaris allows of course to use more than 256 FDs.
>I don't know how they are stored inside the kernel but I have been using
>Solaris in projects where we used 1024 FDs and more. Zope does not
>increase the number of allowed FDs (resource module) but inherits
>the settings from the environment where Zope gets started.
>The number of FDs are set in Solaris in /etc/system:
>set rlim_fd_max = 4096
>set rlim_fd_cur = 1024
>Solaris 7+ allows up to 65536 FDs.
Solaris is definitely not my area of expertise, but to the best of my
looking-for-the-answer ability, that's all I can find.   If Zope is
started in a shell with
$ ulimit -n 200
and I POST the offending form, I get a "too many open files" error.  But
if ulimit -n 512,
then I get "No such file or directory" when $ZOPE/lib/python/tempfile.py
tries to fdopen a
file descriptor higher than 255 (line 155).

my /etc/system doesn't have anything other than some shm settings.

Can you create a form:

<form method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data">
  <input type="submit" value="Click me to test FD's">
  <dtml-in "_.range(500)">
    <input type=text name="input_<dtml-var sequence-number>"
value="<dtml-var sequence-number>">

and tell me if you get the OSError?