False alarm for Python2.2a4.  It does work

It seems I was either hallucinating or had screwed something up.
After discussions with Guido, after which I understood a lot better
what was supposed to be happening and why, I started over, and this
time it worked.  With the updates for OS 10.1 in Python 2.2a4, all I
had to do to make both Python and Zope was:

        cd Python2.2a4
        configure --with-suffix=.exe
        sudo make install

        cd Zope
        python wo_pcgi.py

That's all.  Just that one configure flag, and no global variables
set.  Very, very nice.  What a delight to have a just released MacOS
treated with respect by multi-platform software!

By the way, Guido said that the Makefile.pre.in mechanism installed
in python2.2/lib/config is for a deprecated third-party build
mechanism, replaced by distutils.  He suggests that Zope should
maybeswitch to distutils.

     --- Mitchell