R. David Murray wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Martijn Pieters wrote:
>
>>>First, actually, untarring as root sets the ownership of a lot of the
>>>stuff in my solaris bindist to 506:100 (brian:users, it says in the
>>>listing.)
>>>
>>Default behaviour when using tar as root; it'll preserve the UID and GID of
>>the person that created the tar.
>>

> Just FYI, this works "right" (IMO) under FreeBSD: files untarred as root are
> owned by root unless you use the p flag.  Of course, this note only applies if
> you are just handling this item via doc changes; if you have install do the
> chown, it's moot.

I'm still wrestling with myself over whether or not this is an issue that needs to be
addressed by the install script.

On one hand, it really is the administrator's responsibility to check
ownership and permissions.  On the other hand, just about every other
mature open source package out there installs and operates somewhere
*other* than its source tree, setting permissions and ownerships as it
goes. :-/  I will probably add it to the massive patch I'm working on
and see what kind of reception it gets...

(ObMozillaBug: while I was typing the first paragraph, a display bug showed me that I
was, in fact, wrestling with "my elf".)

--
Matt Behrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
System Analyst, Baker Furniture