magnus,

the LDAPUserFolder has SHA password handling "hardcoded" into it. in order
for it to produce crypy passwords you'd have to look up the few places
where it creates a password and change it to use crypt. i chose SHA
because to the LDAP server itself it does not make any difference whether
it's SHA or CRYPT and SHA is marginally more secure.

as far as your login problems go, look up a user record on the Users tab
and see if that record has any roles associated with it.

you must also ensure that the user record you are trying to retrieve has
permissions inside LDAP to look up itself and permission to look up the
groups associated with it. the ACLs in slapd.conf govern that piece. you
could use ldapsearch to "emulate" these searches by binding with the
respective user's DN and passowrd and looking up its own details as well
as its own groups.

jens

P.S.: LDAP and trying to use it for zope authentication can be very
painful to set up if you're not experienced with LDAP first. there are a
*lot* of factors and pitfalls involved. you must have a good understanding
about how LDAP works, knowledge about LDAP schemas and LDAP ACLs.