first thing I want is to express my huge gratitude to have something like Zope and its community.
I have read all the all the mail that has been stirred by "that" open letter.
I agree very much and I am willing to contribute as much as I can that zope should grow 10x.
I found two things missing in the discussion so far that are crucial to attain this goal:
- documentation
To start using Zope doing something more than trivial is an incredibly frustrating thing. Hunting for the right piece of documentation is very very hard. The community is very helpful I agree readily. However asking it should be the last resort and being forced to use it as an important part of the developement effort is very cumbersome and time consuming. And does not really take the frustration out of the process.
Bruce Eckels postings to this list show that even a developer of his statue is prone to the same effect.
I am a seasoned programmer that started to deal with Zope exactly one year ago. It is only now that I learn where to look for what piece of information and to decide which one is relevant and which one is not.
- translation support
Internationalisation is crucial. English in the user interface is just not tolerated in a non English speaking part of the world. It is 10 years ago something like that would have been acceptable. I am from Switzerland where we pride ourselves to be multilingual (6 Million inhabitants 4 major languages, English being the fifth). However nobody would think of having anything like English on a public website.
There are a number of efforts towards translation support. However to have any of them to succeed it needs the support of ZC which just does not exist.
Now I have to hurry getting breakfast
(or I get into troubles)