Agreed completely on both of those points.  There's double good news on
both:

1) Someone plans to do something about it.

2) Both are with community involvement.

On documentation, someone in the community has committed to taking over
the Documentation page on zope.org and finally organizing the myriad of
useful, but unlocatable, doc resources out there.

The second is pretty exciting as well.  I saw a presentation in Paris by
Juan David Palomar, of Localizer fame.  (The presentation is now up at
http://estce.act.uji.es:9673/localizer).  The presentation impressed me
on the need to get someone into the core of Zope that knows all these
details, but also convinced me that the Zope3 effort needs to anticipate
the needs of i18n and l10n.

I spoke with the guys here doing the extreme programming session on
Zope3, and they agreed.

To say it again:

1) I think the world of Zope needs to grow 10x in the next year.

2) ZC can't do it, and much of the action in Zope is non-U.S.,
particularly Europe.

3) Thus, Zope needs a strong, competitive internationalization story.

ZBabel and Localizer are good starts, but as jdavid says, both should be
thought of as non-core projects that start influencing the core
step-by-step.

--Paul