* Leonardo Rochael Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020124 00:03]:
> Hi vio,
>
> Pardon our insistence in helping you out, but you asked to be told if
> something in your description smelt rotten and, besides the fact that
> yes, you are reinventing the wheel (and reinventing it square, by the
> way :-), there isn't a single thing in the scenario you described below
> that isn't possible with plain vanilla Zope (ok, plain vanilla Zope is
> an oxymoron. There is nothing 'plain' about an out-of-the-box Zope, but
> I digress :-), you don't even need CoreSessionTracking as far as I
> understand it!

First, thanks again for 'insisting' in helping me out. Really appreciate it!
Ok, you asked what I really want, and it's very 'plain vanilla' stuff. In a
sentence: to log users from a custom dtml page. Period.

In more than one sentence: I want to 'integrate' the login process and 'user
management' into my own product, give it my own product's 'look and feel',
to create a consistent GUI and user experience.

Idealy, I'd prefer just using plain Zope, no additional 3rd party products.
But I really would prefer to present the user with a nicely customised
login page instead of the standard Zope dialog.

Well, that's about it. Looking for a solution here has been a great learning
experience into Zope security, first of all. Now all your suggestions
are pointing out towards using an existing product, 2 names flying around:
LoginManager and exUserFolder.

LoginManager would seem more appealing, as some comments I've read would
suggest that it's very customizable. My problem with that is that Zope won't
'chew' it properly, spits it out with ImportError: can't import name
'expr_globals' in Products/ZPatterns/Expressions.py line 38.
Indeed, after browsing the sources, no trace of 'expr_globals' anywhere.
Deprecated? Any idea what this was replaced with (by the way, in case you're
wondering, I'm running on Zope 2.4.1 with python 2.1, while on the other hand
LoginManager-0-8-8b1 with ZPatterns-0-4-3b1 and PlugIns-0-4-3b1 are trying
to earn a living on my hard drive).

exUserFolder installed ok, so I'll give it a test drive also.
But some hints on debugging LoginMgr would be also appreciated.

Cheers,
Vio