On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 07:17 AM, seb bacon wrote:

>> However, I do build Python with gcc 3.1 (cvs) and Python 2.1.2 and with
>> various compile options can get a 17% speedup.
>
> Could you share the compile options with us?
>
> seb

OK, but be warned -- gcc cvs isnt guaranteed stable, so often I have to
hand tweak things (rebuilding certain modules with different options,
etc.)

First pass through:  edit Makefile to include the following flags to OPT=
-fomit-frame-pointer -march='ppro' -fssa -fprofile-arcs

make

run the test suite; run pystone with the produced python

make clean

edit Makefile to change -fprofile-arcs to be -fbranch-predictions

make

make test

edit the Makefile to remove the fancy optimization stuff

make install

You may be able in certain circumstances to be able to use
-fschedule-insns and -fschedule-insns2.

I dont think -fssa works but I include it anyway as long as the modules
pass test.

Gcc 3.0X doesn't seem to be able to make a good build with these
options; gcc 3.1 (from cvs) does, but YMMV -- don't blame me or ask me
for help building python with fancy options, please.