One thing to remember is that running multi-treaded Python apps on a
multi-processor box is suboptimal unless you can bind all the threads to a
single processor, due to the Python GIL.

So, I'm not surprised that a 800MHz Athlon outperforms a dual 1GHz Piii with
Zope, regardless of OS. As for Oracle, I cannot say.

The only way to do a true comparison would be to run the same tests on the
same app on the same hardware with the same load but with different OSes.

One other difference is classically due to a more efficient select mechanism
on Unix than Windows (ala asyncore), making multitasking more efficient on
*nix. However, I don't know if that's true anymore post-NT4.

-Casey