On Wednesday 28 Aug 2002 6:46 pm, Casey Duncan wrote:

> One other difference is classically due to a more efficient select
> mechanism on Unix than Windows (ala asyncore), making multitasking more
> efficient on *nix. However, I don't know if that's true anymore post-NT4.

Yes, thats still true. select is the native Unix way of handling asynchronous
IO, but on Win32 select is a compatability layer provided for posix
compatability, and to make it easy to port unix network services to windows.

Win32's native concurrency and asynchronous IO capabilities are in many ways
superior to the posix select. They are top of my list of things I regret
leaving behind since moving my recent development from windows to linux.