Personally I use http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html and it solved all
these problems for me quite nicely.  No more pid files, no more
ownership problems, no more logging headaches.  I think someone has a
HowTo on setting up daemontools with z2.py/stupid logger, but I
actually wrote my own logging module and replaced z2.py entirely with
a 39 line python script that does nothing but pcgi (which is all I
needed).  I don't expect this to become a standard solution for all
the usual reasons DJB's software never becomes a standard.  But
do take a look at the design behind it, its good stuff.

(if anyone wants my start scritps or logger mail me off-list)

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"It's almost impossible to overestimate the unimportance of most things."