--On Freitag, 8. November 2002 19:49 +0100 Joachim Werner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Some additional remarks: While making the splitting dependent on the
locale settings (as done in the old TextIndex) helps with most use cases,
I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do in the long run. Locale
settings are good for client software, i.e. if you want to have a program
behave German for a German user etc.

But a web server might be located in the U.S., but frequented by
German-speaking and Spanish-speaking users. Or even users from China or
Japan. In these cases only Unicode will help I think. After all you can
not have more than one locale at a time. But honestly I still don't
understand the Unicode thing good enough. My main concern is whether a
Unicode-enabled site will still work with older browsers and for all
platforms ...

Please note that former Zope versions already include a dedicated unicode-aware
splitter that is already usable with the old TextIndex and maybe with ZCTextIndex.
TextIndexNG resolves all these issues by doing the complete internal processing by
converting the data into unicode. Every single processing step only handles unicode

Most older browsers should be able to handle at least UTF-8 as character set. This is
sufficient for most cases.

(Related lists - http://lists.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-announce