On Sunday 01 December 2002 3:36 pm, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> > > FYI I'd like to have a 2.6.1 beta out next week. Jeremy is still
> > > looking at a few ZODB bug reports - as soon as he's done we'll
> > > make the beta.
> >
> > Im not sure this is a good plan.
> >
> > Jeremy's sortKey changes look like they deserve a longer beta
> > testing period
> > than I would have thought the demand for a DateTime fix would allow.
> My understanding was that objects would not be required to implement
> sortKey (and wouldn't be adversely affected for not implementing it)
> unless they cared about the specific issue that it addresses. I'll
> verify this w/Jeremy tomorrow, but last I heard ordering should only
> actually be an issue for Connection objects - other objects that
> play with the transaction mgr will generally not be subject to the
> deadlock issue that the sorting is designed to prevent (the deadlock
> is due to connection interaction w/a storage server).

Yes, Jeremys changes should be entirely backwards compatible. I have commented
on zodb-dev how well this has been handled. I am entirely confident that it
can go into a 2.6.x fairly soon. However it is still a major change to a
critical component, with some indications that things are not 100% right:

I am not normally shy of the bleeding edge, but I am still running the cvs
dated 2002-11-11 in production. This one change makes me nervous.

A bug in the transaction manager would be really bad news. I would have
thought it appropriate to resolve these problems and leave at least a few
weeks of beta test before release.