Yes, except I would argue that such work is best left on the HEAD rather than
applied to a maintenance branch until necessitated by bug reports on that
branch, or at least the knowledge that such a bug definitely exists and can
be reproduced on that branch.

I'm all for improving the code base. We just need to excercise caution
changing code on maintenance branches unnecessarily. The HEAD is another
matter, IMO go nuts!