On February  2, Martin Gebert wrote:
> What brings me directly to the central question: Is this Content-Type
> header provided reliably by every browser?

Nothing is provided reliably by every browser. (Consider command-line
HTTP tools like wget and LWP.)

Mostly it depends on how the browser or, more likely, the operating
system determines mime types for a file.  Windows, for instance,
determines the mime type based on file extension, so if you upload an
image with the wrong extension (save an image/jpeg as a .gif) IE will
send the wrong mime type.  Not sure how Macs do it, and most UNIX
systems likely use /etc/mime.types.

 Adrian van den Dries                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Development team                               www.dev.flow.com.au
 FLOW Communications Pty. Ltd.                  www.flow.com.au