Jean Jordaan wrote:
All I can think is that that object 'basic' lacks context for
some reason (i.e. lacks an acquisition wrapper?). I can't think
why it lacks context .. we use that idiom all over the app, and
don't normally get any problems.
That's all I can think of also.  Try examining basic.aq_chain.

I'm trying to see if reading VerboseSecurity's source will
help, but all I've found so far is a suspect double negation:

"""
def userHasRolesButNotInContext(user, object, object_roles):
    '''Returns 1 if the user has any of the listed roles but
    is not defined in a context which is not an ancestor of object.
    '''
"""

Surely either one of those 'not's should go?
Yes. I think the first one should go.

Shane