Paul Winkler wrote:

more about our scenario:
* We must anticipate users at hundreds of locations

* there might be 10 or so users at each location

* permissions can be grouped pretty well into tasks, but are
  specific to a location - permission to do a task at one
  location must not mean permission at all locations.
  To me this suggests several Roles per location, corresponding
  to the grouped tasks at that location.

* each user might work from several different locations

* each user might need different permissions when working
  at different locations

* We have multiple applications, not all in zope, so LDAP is looking

With locations, do you mean physical locations of the clients (i.e. IP-adresses), or the locations of objects inside zope (i.e. /department1, /department2 etc.)?