Jamie Heilman wrote:

Why make the unlucky user pay the price?

Because the unlucky user (which I read as: author) is the only one who
knows the required behavior of their code.

Allow me to clarify -- I meant the end user browsing the website.
I hate it when I surf to a less-highly-used portion of a website and
have to wait 30 seconds for the page to render.

Anyway, after talking this over with my colleague, I realize that
the problem of *deriving* dependencies is fundamentally undecidable.
We might be able to figure it out in the case of simple acquisition,

But it is hopeless for pure python:

One possibility is to add the ability to *declare* dependencies.
I thought of doing that for an X-path aware "XML Composite Document"
object. It is an object that produces a valid XML document by grabbing
parts of other Zope objects via XPath/XPointer/XInclude.

Such an object could have an explicit listing of the objects on
which it depends, and invalidate the cache appropriately whenever
any of the dependent objects changed.

Is a nice beginning along these lines.