On March 17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am trying to develop a program that generates a top-level folder
> within zope and then has one of its functions called to give permission
> to access the folder, as opposed to using the standard Zope permission
> system. As I understand it the only way to do this is to modify the core
> zope software.

Like everything else in Zope, assigning permissions and roles can be
done programmatically.  So, if you want to dynamically grant a role a
particular permission (or conversely, grant a user a role), you could
do it with a Python script that calls container.manage_permission or
container.manage_role as appropriate, and give that script the Manager
proxy role, ensuring it is only callable by appropriate users.

But I strongly suspect there is a better way to solve your problem,
probably with local roles.  If you describe what you're really trying
to achieve, perhaps we can help you achieve it in a more Zopish way.

When you say "top-level folder", do you mean the root folder (which is
not really a folder), or one level down?

a.

--
 Adrian van den Dries                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Development team                               www.dev.flow.com.au