Hi,

Just ran ./configure using Python 2.2.2. I got the following output:
(on FreeBSD 5.0)

        Configuring Zope installation

        Testing for an acceptable Python interpreter...

        Python version 2.2.2 found at /usr/local/bin/python
        let: arith: syntax error: "i = i + 1"

        let: arith: syntax error: "i = i + 1"

        [: 1: unexpected operator
        let: arith: syntax error: "i = i + 1"

        [: 1: unexpected operator
        let: arith: syntax error: "i = i + 1"

        [: 1: unexpected operator
        let: arith: syntax error: "i = i + 1"

FreeBSD's shell doesn't support let "i=i+1" constructs:
It works fine if I change the shell to /usr/local/bin/bash.
An ugly fix seems to be to rename configure to configure.bash
and create a configure such as:
#!/bin/sh
# force bash shell
`which bash` ./configure.bash
Other fix is to explain in the docs that you need to run
bash ./configure on systems such as FreeBSD

Anybody knows a nicer way to fix this?

Pieter