On Friday 20 June 2003 04:57 pm, PieterB wrote:
> > On Friday 20 June 2003 01:19 am, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> > > There's only one possible way! A-A-P! (A good match for Ape, Shane ;)
> > > It's a replacement for make by Bram Moolenaar, the author of Vim, and
> > > it looks like it does a lot of things Right.
> >
> > Sorry, I haven't really been paying attention so this might be completely
> > OT. It *sounds* like it's being suggested that we replace "make" (given
> > the above statement). Has anyone used SCons? http://www.scons.org/
> >     Richard
>
> I think the default Zope install should not have dependencies other
> than that Python is required and the user has some shell system
> (bash/sh/MS batchfiles).

... and aap apparently ;)

> About Scons: I never heard of it before

It's been around for quite a while. It's based on the winning design for
software construction tools (ie. "make" replacement) in the Software
Carpentry contest (the website of which has vanished from the web now so
you'll have to rely on the info at scons.org). It's certainly been around for
longer than aap :)

> but it's not suitable for my
> task. I want to create something that can easily interact with FreeBSD
> ports

Fair enough - as I mentioned, I haven't been paying close attention to the
thread. My virtual ears pricked up when mention was made of replacing "make"
;)

> , and is more stable than 0.14 alpha

I note with a grin that up until this month aap was at release 0.150 :)

    Richard