Paul Winkler wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:29:45PM -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:

How would you pass arguments in your version?  I'd say that passing
arguments accounts for a very large percentage of my need to use
TALES python expressions.

If you need to pass arguments, use a Python expression. Python expressions are not on trial.

You said in another post:
"""
My feeling is that you should avoid mixing syntaxes in a single
document.
"""

So I'm getting mixed messages from you. :-)

They are consistent because neither is absolute.

I'm tired of this. Do you have a better alternative to subpath prefixes? The constraints are tight:

- You have to make calling explicit. It's important for Zope 3.

- You don't get the implicit acquisition crutch anymore. It's important for Zope 3.

- You have to provide an easy way to access APIs. It's important for Zope 3.

- You have to provide a way to explicitly acquire. It's important for Zope 3!

- You can't use Python statements in templates.

- Everyone is going to argue over your solution for months.

I've tried very hard to invent a way to solve the problems with path expressions without changing TALES. I can't. So I gave myself the flexibility of using just one character that was reserved anyway in path expressions, and the solution fell out.

If you want to look for a solution, consider using *only* Python expressions--no path expressions. You'll get a lot of mileage that way, but at the expense of syntax clashes. Who knows, you might find a pretty good solution.

Shane