I have got about 70000 DateTime refs on that one CMF site at the moment and can arbitrarily increase this number by serving out pages ;-). They don't "stick" though, but go back to a stable 40000. No cause for alarm here.

Did you rebuild the catalog (-indexes) after the upgrade? New Zope versions usually come with important BTree fixes ;-).

Wild guess, but do you by any chance run exUserFolder?

hth,
Stefan