At 12:04 PM 12/29/03 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

This is how I'm using extended section types in my code currently.  The
proposed change won't affect me because I explicitly specify the data
types in derived section types.  It seems to me unlikely that you'd have
a base section type with a non-default data type, with derived section
types that rely on the default data type.

Yes, it would only be useful if you could also override existing attribute or key definitions in the derived section type. Adding new attributes, but leaving the section's datatype alone wouldn't make much sense.

Agreed, unless there's also a way to override/replace existing attributes, as opposed to merely adding new ones.