Bjorn Stabell wrote:
It appears the way to control it would for Apache or Zope to return "503
Service Unavailable" when the load is too high, but we haven't found a
good way to do this; Zope doesn't appear to have any mechanism for it,
and Apache's ProxyPass doesn't either.  I guess load balancers would,
but that's a bit overkill since we run the server on one machine.

Hi, I'm very interested in your resutsl. We have exaclty the same situation, though we have not analysed it further - the only thing that saves us is to restart zope.

re: load balancing: there is Pound - - that might serve as a loadbalancer between processes in a single machine.

Maybe that will help a bit, though it doesn't really resolve the issue with zope choking; if it works, it will merely circumvent it.