Dieter Maurer wrote:

So, you got sucked into the myth of SQL too? ;-)
You'll need to rewrite at least some of your SQL if you change backends, so I don't see this as a huge problem...

What an argument :-(

  As you need to change *something*, why bother with ideas to
  change as little as possible.

I missed off the <0.5 wink> from my reply. Portability of SQL is a myth, but I'm not advocating making life more difficult elsewhere. The proposed change as it stands now will stop the current exception masking but still let DA authors subclass their exceptions from a root exception such that code can catch all of them...