On 31/03/2004, at 7:31 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
Overall, I agree with you that stylesheets are best kept static. However, consider what happens to cacheability when the URLs of of images referenced in a document are relative; the same problem can afflict stylesheets, particularly in a setup where virtual hosting is in play.

I strongly favor DTML over ZPT for those cases where you need to generate dynamic "plain" text (mail, CSS, Javascript, etc.) Neither will be "transparent" to tools like Dreamweaver, but then again I can't imagine *any* markup that would be transparent; it would pretty much have to be embedded in whatever "comment" syntax the underlying language defines.

hmmm... would a similar idea to TAL ease the pain? A sprinkling of new CSS properties along the lines of...

p {
    padding: 1.5em;
    foo-property: "padding context/padding";

Could even apply similar ideas for i18n for properties such as "content".