(reply-to set to zodb-dev)

> In the long term, this will allow is to *finally* support cross database
> references.

Your proposal describes an unfamiliar kind of reference. In unix filesystem
terms, it mixes characteristics of hard links and symbolic links.

Like hard links it directly references the inode/oid. The reference doent need
to have a filename/object reference from the root of the referenced
filesystem/database.

Like symbolic links it does not prevent garbage collection from freeing the
inode/oid. So there does need to BE a filename/object reference from the root
of the referenced filesystem/database.... it needs to exist, but the
reference doesnt need to have it.

(by 'object reference' above I mean a chain of normal object references like
we have in normal python and zodb today)

Right now I cant think of a use case for this new type of reference (either in
a filesystem or zodb database).  Can you give some examples?

--
Toby Dickenson