Toby Dickenson wrote:
(reply-to set to zodb-dev)

In the long term, this will allow is to *finally* support cross database

Your proposal describes an unfamiliar kind of reference. In unix filesystem terms, it mixes characteristics of hard links and symbolic links.

That's right, it's not like a file-system hard link or a soft link.

Right now I cant think of a use case for this new type of reference (either in a filesystem or zodb database). Can you give some examples?

Yes. I want to create a reference from one object to another in Python code. (It's much easier to do that in Zope 3, for various reasons I won't go into here.) At the Python level, I don't want to have to worry about whether the objects are in separate databases.

Now, the fact that the reference is weak is a definate disadvantage. I'd rather
have a strong reference, but that makes the problem much harder to solve. There
are applications where weak references are a step forward.

An alternative model is to require that the reference isn't direct but has
weak references (as in Python weak reference) semantics). That is, rather than

self.x = foo

self.x = persistent.wref.ref(foo)

Anyway, you ask a reasonably question. Let's continue this discussion after I write a proposal for cross-database references.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation