Tres Seaver wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

Sidnei da Silva wrote:

| So far, I like:
| |   foo/bar->dc/title
| | the best.

OTOH, for 'valid' xhtml, u would have to write:

You mean well-formed.

 foo/bar->dc/title

Totally defeating the purpose. One may argue that this would not be
part of the output, but it breaks the editors (at least nxml-mode).

Wrong. Double check the spec.  (I did. :)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#NT-AttValue

You only need to escape the less-than because there's no way to
mistake "a->b" as a tag.

xmllint (from libxml2) doesn't think the '>' is legitimate::

  [/home/tseaver]
  $ cat > test.xml
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <test attribute="foo > bar" />
  [/home/tseaver]
  $ xmllint test.xml
  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <test attribute="foo &gt; bar"/>

Pehaps, in the tradition of lint programs, it's being conservative.

I would be reluctant to duel with Daniel using my XML language lawyer chops.

The spec is pretty clear.

But, if tools are going to be confused by this, we should avoid it.

Jim